Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Paleo Diet Begins...


I know I posted a very appetizing recipe yesterday, but I am just so excited about this, I have to post another one! This recipe, however, falls into the Paleo diet/lifestyle.  Yesterday, my mother, sister, father and I embarked on a journey to the Paleolithic time period ... not literally, but we did decide to start the Paleo diet (also known as the Caveman diet), which consists of eating grass-fed pasture raised meats, fish, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils. It's supposed to mimick what is believed to be the diet of cavemen millions of years ago. It's going to be hard, but feeling great is a little thing in life that I always strive to accomplish everyday :), and looking great doesn't hurt either!

With that being said, I can only imagine that the cavemen had an extremely hard time hunting down what to eat, and I have to say I'm right there with them. Creating a meal became a challenge all of a sudden, until my sister sent me Multiply Delicious. It has some amazing, mouth-watering, yummy Paleo recipes, and is just a super cute blog overall. I cannot wait to try this one in particular!


Photo source: Multiply Delicious

Paleo Spaghetti

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
2 large zucchini, cut into julienne strips
1 tsp garlic, minced
3 to 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 pound ground chicken, turkey, or beef (grass-fed preferred)
Additional fresh basil for topping pasta
 
Instructions:
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Place zucchini and garlic in skillet and heat until zucchini is slightly softened.  In the last 30 seconds toss with fresh basil.

In a separate skillet cook meat of choice until cooked through, making sure to crumble into small pieces.  Once meat is cooked through mix in tomato sauce and stir to combine.
To plate dish, place zucchini “noodles” in bowl or plate and then top with meat sauce and sprinkle with additional basil.
Enjoy!

What do you guys think? Does this diet sound crazy, or something you could make into a lifestyle? If you think it's something you may be into, check out Life as a Plate, Everyday Paleo, and Mark's Daily Apple, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment